Understanding the New Contingency Fee Reforms for Lawyers and Paralegals: What You Need to Know Before July 1st
Friday, May 14, 2021 (9:00 a.m.–10:30 a.m.)
Add this event to your calendar (Downloads an .ICS file)
Alternate date: Tuesday, July 6, 2021 [click to view options]
View this webcast-only program from your home or office computer
Page Count: 83
* Remember: You must attend CPD programs (in-person, live webcast, or live webcast replay) or view them on-demand to claim CPD Hours. Reading CPD materials alone does not qualify.
Adam Wagman, C.S.Howie, Sacks & Henry LLP
On July 1, 2021, a new contingency fee regime came into effect for lawyers and paralegals in Ontario. These changes enhance consumer protection, improve transparency and fairness for clients, and facilitate access to justice. Our presenters guide you through the July 1, 2021 amendments to the Solicitor's Act and the Regulations, the Law Society's Rules of conduct for lawyers and paralegals, and give you tips to smoothly transition any needed changes for your practice management. If you provide legal services on a contingency fee basis, do not miss this informative program.
- Learn about the new, mandatory standard form contingency agreement
- Hear about the new Consumer Guide - standardized and required for all contingency fee clients
- Understand the risk management issues that can arise with the new arrangements
- The Honourable Doug Downey, Attorney General of Ontario
- Jasmine Daya, Jasmine Daya & Co.
- Andrew Spurgeon, Ross & McBride LLP
- Juda Strawczynski, Director, practicePRO, Lawyers' Professional Indemnity Company (LAWPRO®)
- Adam Wagman, C.S., Howie, Sacks & Henry LLP