Our Civil Justice System: What's Next?
Wednesday, October 14, 2020 (1:30 p.m.–4:30 p.m.)
Add this event to your calendar (Downloads an .ICS file)
Alternate date: Wednesday, December 23, 2020 [click to view options]
View this webcast-only program from your home or office computer
Page Count: 51
* Remember: You must attend CPD programs or view them on demand to claim CPD Hours. Reading CPD materials alone does not qualify.
You may count recorded programs that you watch without a colleague towards your annual CPD Requirement—up to a maximum 6 hours. Recorded programs include archived webcasts, video replays, or any other on-demand program.
The Honourable David BrownCourt of Appeal for Ontario
Falguni Debnath, Senior Legal OfficerCourt of Appeal for Ontario
In February, we convened a program and explored changes to our Civil Litigation system to bring it into the 21st century, and many of you engaged in that challenging discussion. Then the pandemic struck, translating theory into stark reality. So, what’s next? Can we leverage this unprecedented situation to create lasting innovation without sacrificing central tenets of our system that protect plaintiffs and defendants? COVID-19 has shown that we can adapt quickly, and we are now able to seize the opportunity presented. Join us to be part of the next iteration of our legal future.
- Identify process gaps revealed by the pandemic and what was done to meet them
- Inventory "new" processes that are being implemented at trial and appellate levels
- Discuss benchmarking of innovative steps taken to properly measure their success (or failure)
- Propose how to move from temporary emergency measures to long-lasting and solid improvements
- The Honourable David Brown, Court of Appeal for Ontario
- Falguni Debnath, Senior Legal Officer, Court of Appeal for Ontario
- The Honourable Grant Huscroft, Court of Appeal for Ontario
- The Honourable Mahmud Jamal, Court of Appeal for Ontario
- The Honourable Fred Myers, Superior Court of Justice
- The Honourable Darla Wilson, Superior Court of Justice
- Suzanne Chiodo, Professor, Western Law
- Nadia Campion, Lax O'Sullivan Lisus Gottlieb LLP
- John Adair, Adair Goldblatt Bieber LLP
- Guy Pratte, Borden Ladner Gervais LLP
- Shantona Chaudhury, Pape Chaudhury LLP
- Merredith MacLennan, Merovitz Potechin LLP