Indigenous Law Issues 2020 (Morning)
Click here for Afternoon Session Information
Tuesday, November 10, 2020 (9:00 a.m.–12:30 p.m.)
Add this event to your calendar (Downloads an .ICS file)
View this webcast-only program from your home or office computer
Page Count: 135
* Remember: You must attend CPD programs or view them on demand to claim CPD Hours. Reading CPD materials alone does not qualify.
You may count recorded programs that you watch without a colleague towards your annual CPD Requirement—up to a maximum 6 hours. Recorded programs include archived webcasts, video replays, or any other on-demand program.
Bernd Christmas, Chief Executive OfficerGITPO STORMS Corp
Indigenous law issues touch upon a widening area of legal practices each year, both in the public and private sectors. As awareness of matters relating to resource ownership and management grows, and these issues become prominent in a public way, there is greater scrutiny and discussion about the role and rights of Indigenous peoples in Canada. In these programs, our presenters look at a wide range of topics relevant to lawyers who deal with these matters, with a public and a private law lens. They pass on to you the knowledge that you need to provide timely and pertinent legal information and advice to your clients.
- Learn about the First Nations Fiscal Management Act and the role of the First Nations Financial Authority and the First Nations Tax Commission
- Get an overview of Indigenous health care issues
- Hear about Indian Act elected councils versus traditional governments
- Nadir Andre, Borden Ladner Gervais LLP
- Bernd Christmas, Chief Executive Officer, GITPO STORMS Corp
- Amanda General, Senior Manager, Gladue Writers, Aboriginal Legal Services
- Sara Mainville, Olthuis Kleer Townshend LLP
- Shayla Point, Director, Market Development, Financial Administration Laws & Stakeholder Relations, First Nations Financial Management Board
- Marie Potvin, Legal Counsel, First Nations Tax Commission
- Kathryn Deo, Arbutus Law Group LLP