23rd Estates and Trusts Summit (Day One)
Click here for Day Two information
Wednesday, October 7, 2020 (9:00 a.m.–4:30 p.m.)
Add this event to your calendar (Downloads an .ICS file)
Alternate date: Monday, December 21, 2020 [click to view options]
View this webcast-only program from your home or office computer
Page Count: 260
* Remember: You must attend CPD programs or view them on demand to claim CPD Hours. Reading CPD materials alone does not qualify.
You may count recorded programs that you watch without a colleague towards your annual CPD Requirement—up to a maximum 6 hours. Recorded programs include archived webcasts, video replays, or any other on-demand program.
Clare BurnsWeirFoulds LLP
Douglas SkinnerHarrison Pensa LLP
It’s not an understatement to say that the past year has been unprecedented in estates matters, and our presenters cover it all. Whether you are a sole practitioner with a varied practice, or a practitioner in a firm specializing in estates and trusts law, this annual two-day program brings you the most important developments on what you want and need to know. Day One addresses the latest information on estates, trust, and capacity/elder law litigation, while Day Two focuses on the estate solicitor's practice, including planning, administration, and tax. Join with your fellow practitioners for important and illuminating discussions on this foundational practice area.
- Hear the Attorney General discuss the Ministry's plans to modernize Ontario’s probate system
- How do you conduct an effective, virtual cross-examination?
- What tax issues should be considered during a will challenge?
- How do you determine “urgency” in an urgent motion?
- When appealing an estates matter, what level of court do you go to, and when will you need leave?
- Clare Burns, WeirFoulds LLP
- Douglas Skinner, Harrison Pensa LLP
- The Honourable Thomas McEwen, Superior Court of Justice
- Justin de Vries, de VRIES LITIGATION LLP
- Kelly Charlebois, Miller Thomson LLP
- Lou-Anne Farrell, FP Law
- Caroline Abela, WeirFoulds LLP
- Noah Weisberg, Hull & Hull LLP
- James Murdoch, Thorsteinssons LLP Tax Lawyers
- Dagmara Wozniak, Siskinds LLP
- Akua Carmichael, Dale & Lessmann LLP
- The Honourable Doug Downey, Attorney General, Ministry of the Attorney General
- M. Kathleen Kinch, Kinch Eddie Litigation
- Doron Gold, Staff Clinician, Homewood Health
- Robert Klotz, Klotz Associates, Barristers and Solicitors
- Alexandra Mayeski, Rosen Sack LLP
- Susan Stamm, Counsel, Property Rights, Office of the Children's Lawyer, Ministry of the Attorney General
- Heather Hogan, Counsel, Litigation Branch, Office of the Public Guardian and Trustee,, Ministry of the Attorney General